Thursday, January 29, 2009

Punkin's "Recitation"

On most weekday mornings, SweetP and Shug recite their memory work for me. I like to have them stand and speak as they would before an audience, emphasizing a clear, crisp voice and pleasant stance. Punkin apparently thinks this looks like a lot of fun.

She came to me this morning with her "poetry" book - a hardback copy of When We Were Very Young by A.A. Milne (her sisters also read from their poetry books every morning). She handed the book to me with its pages open to some point in the introduction. "This is my recitation", she announced. "Oh, okay", I smiled, and sat down on the chair in the entryway. She walked about six feet away from me, turned to face me, folded her hands, stood up straight, chin high, and began:

"Dear Symmetry by Robert Frost... What immortal hand... for the robins singing in their nests... the bears all go to sleep... hibernating... until the warm spring comes... and the wind blows... and a lying tongue is but for a moment."

The End.


Satisfied, she ran off and played for the rest of the morning :)